"Some Christmas tree ornaments do more than glitter and glow, they represent a gift of love given a long time ago."- Tom Baker
Here's a fun and easy geode cookie recipe! They are lots of fun to make with friends and family.
Ingredients (18 Cookies)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the cookie dough to ¼ inch thick. Using a paring knife, cut out random amorphous shapes that are roughly the same size.
3. Transfer the cookies to the baking sheets and bake until lightly golden around the edge, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, mix together the confectioners’ sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract until thick but not overly stiff. If needed, add water 1 tablespoon at a time to achieve the correct consistency.
5. Transfer the icing to a piping bag or a resealable plastic bag. Cut a small opening from the tip of the bag (or the corner of the resealable plastic bag).
6. Pipe the icing around the edge of the cookies. Dip the cookies into the gold sugar (it should only adhere to the icing). Let the icing set for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer the rock candy to gallon-size resealable plastic bags (keep each colour separate). Hit the candy with a rolling pin to break it up into shards.
8. To finish, pipe more icing inside the gold sugar rings. Apply a ring of white rock candy inside the gold sugar ring, and then fill the center with the colourful rock candy. Let the icing and candy set for 10 minutes before serving.