Stress is undoubtedly a normal part of life. All sorts of events can trigger stress, whether they be academic and job related concerns, financial hardship, or relationship troubles to name a few. Stress can be a good thing if it’s in small amounts and if it acts as a motivator, helping you reach your goals.
Watch this fascinating and insightful TED Talks video featuring Kelly McGonigal as she talks about How to Make Stress Your Friend
Stress too can build up over time and get the best of you, especially when you are not prepared for it or you are not able to tackle it. Fortunately, there are a lot of great resources for those who feel stressed out or need some relaxation tips. We’ve compiled a list of ways and resources to de-stress, relax, and find inner harmony:
Techniques to relax
- Get your blood circulating! Get up and stretch or walk around for 5-10 minutes every hour.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Eat healthy and at consistent times of the day. Include in your meals fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and some lean proteins. Don’t forget about breakfast!
- Go outside and get some fresh air – take a walk around the block
- Try short rounds of meditation. Sit up straight with both feet on the floor, close your eyes, and take deep breaths while reciting a mantra. This mantra can be something simple such as “I feel at peace.”
- Laugh out loud. Laughing helps to loosen up tense muscles, get more oxygen into the lungs, and overall improves your mood. Check out these Nature's Expression's LOL TXT stones!
- Sleep! Be consistent with what time you sleep and wake up. Your brain is at its prime after 7 or more hours of sleep a night.
If you haven’t already, check out some of Nature’s Expression’s meditation aids. Find inner peace with this Zen Garden (pictured right), complete with a Buddha figurine and incense sticks; relax with different varieties of incense sticks and candles; meditate and chant your mantra with these Japa Mala bracelets.
Stress is unavoidable and part of our lives. By learning different techniques to prevent stress and overcome it, you will be more prepared the next time there is a difficult and taxing event.
How do you overcome stress? What meditation aids do you use? Let us know in the comments below!